How To Mix Light And Dark Wood Tones In Your Home

While there’s no doubt that wood lends a warm, elegant touch to any home, many people are unsure how to use it properly throughout. Some people are of the mind that once you use one type of wood or shade, you must stick with that choice for any wood pieces you add. 

A common question many interior design experts get is, “Is it okay to mix wood tones in the home?” The simple answer is yes! You can absolutely mix wood tones – and even wood types – in the home. Just follow the simple steps below to design your home like a pro with varying wood tones. 

Choose Woods With Common Undertones

Creating a cohesive look with varying light and dark woods is easy when you choose pieces that have common undertones. 

For example, light and dark woods with red or blonde undertones lend a warm vibe to the space, while gray undertones give off a cool, chic feel. 

Choose Pieces With High Contrast

To make a statement with the wood in your home, look for pieces that contrast each other significantly. For example, choose a dark wood dining table with light wood chairs for a contrasting look that doesn’t blend in a boring vibe. This is an especially great tactic if the floor is also a light shade of wood. The dark table will create a focal point in the room against the light backdrop. 

Follow The 80/20 Rule

The 80/20 rule is simple: your main wood color (usually the floor) should cover about 80 percent of the space. The remaining 20 percent should contain your accent wood color. Also, you should repeat your accent wood color at least twice. 

With that said, if the floor in the room has a light wood tone, use a dark wood tone on the window frames and perhaps the dining chairs, too. The key to remember is to repeat the accent color at least twice, but don’t go overboard or the space will look jumbled and busy. 

Add Varying Textures

Add dimension and interest to your room by combining rustic and sleek wood surfaces. For example, add sleek and shiny wood accents to the room if the floor is a rustic knotty pine. Or, if the floor has a sleek wood finish, add rustic accent pieces for texture and interest. 

Mixing and matching wood pieces in your home is absolutely okay. In fact, you should strive to do so to create an interesting look that begs attention. Follow the tips above to expertly combine different wood tones in your home.