Ways Your Home May be Hazardous to Your Health

For many people, home is a haven – the one place they feel the safest in a world full of chaos and danger. Unfortunately, there are times when your home can turn on you and become a dangerous place that can make you sick or even kill you. It’s important for you to keep tabs on your home to ensure it continues to provide the safety and security you expect. Below are a few common home dangers to be on the lookout for. 

1. Mold

Mold grows in a variety of moist conditions, many of which can be found in any average home. The bathroom is a prime location for mold growth since condensation forms every time you bathe. 

Some forms of mold, like “black” mold, are more dangerous than others, although not all black molds are toxic. Any person with a sensitivity to mold can have an allergic reaction that causes difficulty breathing. Prolonged exposure can lead to asthmatic problems as well. In rare instances, an allergic reaction can be fatal. 

To keep mold growth to a minimum in your home, be sure to run the exhaust fan when you bathe and watch for and eradicate any areas where moisture collects regularly. 

2. Asbestos

Even though asbestos is no longer legal to use in home construction, traces of it can still be found in homes built before 1980. Asbestos is a known carcinogen (a cancer-causing agent). Exposure to it can cause Mesothelioma, a form of cancer. 

Even if your home was built before 1980, there’s no need to worry about asbestos unless you’re planning a home renovation. It’s when you disturb asbestos that it becomes a dangerous issue. If you live in an older home and want to knock out a few walls for an open concept floor plan, be sure to consult a professional contractor first. These people have the expertise and equipment to handle asbestos safely. 

3. Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide comes from the burning of gas. Gas appliances such as stoves, water heaters, furnaces, etc. give off carbon monoxide in a home. These appliances are ventilated to eliminate the presence of carbon monoxide in your home, but sometimes, this ventilation fails. Sadly, carbon monoxide poisoning kills thousands of people every year. 

To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in your own home, it’s important to have CO detectors on every level. Furthermore, you should have any wood-burning stoves or furnaces maintained by a professional each year before use. 

It’s easy to take your home for granted, especially in a world as fast-paced as ours. Most people let things go until there’s a problem, but in some cases, it may be too late by then. Taking time to give your home a “once-over” on a regular basis can help you realize potential problems before they become dangerous issues. Don’t rely on your mind to remember to do this, however. Mark it on a calendar or set a reminder on your phone to check your house for these home dangers every few months.